Sunday, November 9, 2014

Guten Tag!!!!

My companion is doing well.  I forgot to mention that we got made sister training leaders.  To be honest, I am not exactly sure what that means....  We have an extra meeting that we have to go to and we also have to help teach our zone training meeting, so that will be interesting.  I have no idea if it is going to be in German or not....  Hopefully not.  I am not getting as much practice on my German because all of our investigators are English speaking.  But we try to speak German outside as much as possible. So that really helps, but sometimes people talk to me and I have no idea still.  I am trying to get out of the habit of just saying "Ja" all the time.  Cuz sometimes they ask me a question and I just say ja, then they smile and ask it again.  It happens all the time.  I am learning to laugh a lot.  Lots of hand gestures also helps.  But the ward is really great.  They will say the same things over and over again for me so that I can practice, and I am starting to call people on the phone.  That is harder cuz I can't see them and go by body language as well. But I am doing ok. 
Our baptism is still on schedule.  She is 36 years old and so prepared.  This week we taught about the Word of Wisdom.  She was struggling to understand the concept of coffee.  She drinks about 1 pot a day and and didn't see why it was a problem to drink coffee, cuz "it doesn't hurt her." but once we explained a little, she told us that if it is God's will, she will quit.  And then we took her coffee machine away.  that was funny.  But she gave it to us willingly.  And she is doing awesome.  She came to church this Sunday and stood and gave her testimony.  And it was amazing.  She is really excited for her baptism and constantly wants to learn more.  She is golden.  We are really praying that Satan doesn't get to her.  She has to have an operation on her leg from a past time when she broke it.  So we are also praying that it isn't before her baptism.  Cuz that is how Satan works.  Her son is 11 years old and then she also has  a 5 year old.  They look older though.  And their names are so cool.  This family is awesome.  We are super excited for them all. I will defiantly send pictures after their baptism.  We are so excited and the ward is as well. 
We also have another girl and she is doing great.  Her problem is that she depends on everyone to do it for her.  So this week we told her she had to find her own ride to church, cuz she needs to start being responsible for getting herself there if she is going to be baptized.  She has been depending on us to find things and when if something goes wrong it is our fault. So this week she was upset cuz she got already for church and no one came to get her.  And I asked her rather bluntly if she found herself a ride. She said no and that the same man should have just come to get her.  I probably wasn't the nicest to her but I told her that he had no idea if she was coming and that he wouldn't just come if he didn't know and she needed to call him.  We had a little tense discussion about making sure things are scheduled and not just relying on people to take care of her all the time.  But hopefully now she understands and she will not be so angry about it.  :) I was super blunt with her and maybe I should have used more kindness, but I think she needs someone who will just tell her how it is.  And I am more than happy to do that.  :) 
These people are kind of friends.  Some of them live in the same place and that is how we have come in contact with them. Because they are all from Africa they live in a small building in the cities in tiny rooms.  They really don't have much, but they get to live there for free so that's nice.  Now both investigators are good friends cuz they come to church every week so that is nice. 
Sometimes I just think that people should understand the way that I do.  When I feel the spirit and they don't I wonder what is wrong with them.  And I wonder how they can't see how great this gospel and this church is.  And so I am adjusting.  And to remember that they have their free agency to choose is important.  I know that I am trying my best to teach these people, and even though it is not perfect and someone may be better at it than me, I am giving my best. And that makes me a good missionary.    Sometimes I feel like I am not good cuz my numbers are low or cuz I feel like we don't use our time as effectively or cuz our lessons don't go well.  but I am learning that I am not perfect and people are not perfect.  And it never will be. And sometimes like you said, people don't listen.  And sometimes they seem golden, and then choose not to follow through.  It really is sad, but they can choose.  And I am learning that Agency is a true blessing, but it is also so frustrating.  I just really want them to understand how great this gospel is.  It is worth so much more than anything they have, but they don't understand!!!  But I am trying my hardest to tell them. And that is all I can do.  Getting out of my comfort zone is hard.  It is still hard for me to talk with people on the bus or train.  I am not good at it, but every day I am trying to be better.  And that is what is important.  And your right.  Sometimes we don't know the impact we make.  Even if someone doesn't get baptized, they may tell their friends about the gospel.  You never know.  
I love you all and think of you always.  I am always thinking of you and praying for you. Thank you for your support and all that you do.  It means everything to me.  Love you!
Sister Poll

No comments:

Post a Comment